Thursday, September 26, 2019

New Accessions in September

"The Ouachitonian," yearbook, 1929,
Courtesy of the Arkansas State Archives

New Accessions in September
Our new accessions include a wicker chair from the Arkansas Building at the 1904 World's Fair, charcoal drawings of Bradford-Eagle family members of Lonoke, soda bottled and produced in Arkansas and postcards from Arkansas. We also received new books that showcase the township of Saline, a six-term sheriff in Garland County, tombstone inscriptions in Garland County cemeteries and the work of a renowned Hot Springs artist! We house more than 20,000 books connected to Arkansas history and countless stories and news articles. Come see us soon!

Archival and Artifact Collections

·         Jeanne McDaniel collection accretion:  James McDaniel, the son of Jeanne McDaniel, donated an addition to other collections related to the Bradford-Eagle family of Lonoke and the McDaniel family of Clarksville. The recent donation includes a wicker chair from the Arkansas Building at the 1904 World's Fair with an old photo of chair; seven charcoal drawings of Bradford-Eagle family members, including Joseph Eagle,  Sarah Eagle,  Hattie Bradford Apple and four children of H.T. Bradford, all of Lonoke; a photographic print of Everett Matthis as baby; three Shrader photographs of one Hattie Bradford Apple; old iron from the McDaniel family in Clarksville;  two military signs for Major E. L. McDaniel, who served with the 153rd Infantry; one sign from the  153rd Infantry from 1960; and a series of artifacts related to President Bill Clinton and the Clinton Presidential  Library.
·         James F. Abbott collection: James F. Abbot donated a Dr. Pepper glass bottle produced in Blytheville, Arkansas; an Eye-SE glass bottle produced in Blytheville, Arkansas; an Orangette-Lemonette glass produced in Camden, Arkansas; and a Swan’s Rainbow Resort postcard.
·         State Capitol and Confederate Monument (Little Rock, Ark.) postcards: Ross Griffiths donated a postcard of the Arkansas State Capitol and a postcard of the Confederate Monument at the Arkansas State Capitol. The date of the postcards is unknown.

Printed Materials

·         “The Ouachitonian,” Ouachita Baptist University yearbook, 1929. The book was donated by Julie Edrington of Memphis, Tenn.
·         “Down These Roads: Schools and Post Offices of Saline Township, 1867-1949,” and “NGS Research in the States Series: Arkansas,” were donated by Lynda Suffridge. “Down These Roads” was compiled by James Burford and Lynda Childers Suffridge and privately published in 2018. “NGS Research in the States Series: Arkansas” is a second edition by Suffridge that was published by the National Genealogy Society in 2019.

Seven book were donated by the Friends of the Arkansas State Archives. They are:
·         “Calvary Cemetery Tombstone Inscriptions,” Compiled by Gail Ashbrook and Elizabeth C. Davis, Garland County Historical Society, 2006. The historic cemetery contains tombstones of early Irish immigrants dating back to the 1870s. 
·         “Carved in Stone, Cast in Metal, Final Tributes, Sad Farewells,” compiled by Gail Ashbrook, Elizabeth C. Davis, Lana Donoho and Joe Thomas, Garland County Historical Society, 2008. The book includes selected epitaphs gathered from tombstones in the cemeteries in Hot Springs.
·         “Friendship Cemetery Tombstone Inscriptions,” compiled by Gail Ashbrook, Lana Donoho and Elizabeth C. Davis, Garland County Historical Society, 2007.
·         “Greenwood Cemetery Tombstone Inscriptions,” compiled by Gail Ashbrook and Elizabeth C. Davis, computer consultant, Garland County Historical Society, 2005.
·         “Jewish Rest Cemetery and Beth Jacob Cemetery Tombstone Inscriptions,” compiled by Gail Ashbrook and Elizabeth C. Davis, Garland County Historical Society, revised edition, 2006.
·         “Lawman: The Story of Clay White - A Life of Service,” by Orval E. Allbritton, Garland County Historical Society, revised edition, 2017.
·         “The Art of History: Catherine Thornton’s Hot Springs,” by Catherine Thornton, Garland County Historical Society, 2012.




No comments:

Post a Comment